Let us descend : a novel / Jesmyn Ward.
"Let Us Descend is a reimagining of American slavery, as beautifully rendered as it is heart-wrenching. Searching, harrowing, replete with transcendent love, the novel is a journey from the rice fields of the Carolinas to the slave markets of New Orleans and into the fearsome heart of a Louisiana sugar plantation. Annis, sold south by the white enslaver who fathered her, is the reader's guide through this hellscape. As she struggles through the miles-long march, Annis turns inward, seeking comfort from memories of her mother and stories of her African warrior grandmother. Throughout, she opens herself to a world beyond this world, one teeming with spirits: of earth and water, of myth and history; spirits who nurture and give, and those who manipulate and take. While Ward leads readers through the descent, this, her fourth novel, is ultimately a story of rebirth and reclamation." -- Provided by publisher.
- ISBN: 9781982104498
- ISBN: 198210449X
- Physical Description: 305 pages ; 23 cm
- Edition: First Scribner hardcover edition.
- Publisher: New York : Scribner, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, Inc., 2023.
- Copyright: ©2023
"Oprah's book club 2023"
Search for related items by subject
- 24 of 51 copies available at Missouri Evergreen. (Show)
- 0 of 1 copy available at Lebanon-Laclede County.
- 8 current holds with 51 total copies.